An Instagram re-cap of my weekend!
Monday, June 17, 2013
Friday, June 14, 2013
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Monday, June 10, 2013
You probably saw my Instagram ravings over a new recipe I tried out this weekend! I was genuinely surprised because I'm not that great of a cook and sometimes even when I follow a recipe to the letter it doesn't always turn out well. But that was not the case this time! Today I want to share with you a recipe I found while visiting France a couple of weeks ago which I paired with my Great Grandmother's delicious pie crust! If you've never had quiche it's like an omelet in a pie crust. My Father used to make it for us sometimes on Saturday mornings but I've been intimidated to try making it on my own until now because I didn't want to ruin the perfectly delicious memory!
Note before you begin: I made 1½ recipes of the pie crust and used a Martha Stewart pastry leaf cutout on the extra dough for the topping decorations.
Parisian Quiche Recipe
For the crust>
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup butter
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- Butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Gradually add enough ice water to the mixture while mixing with a wooden spoon until a ball of dough is formed.
- Pour the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of plastic wrap and form into a disc. Lightly flour the top of the pie dough and place another sheet of plastic wrap on top. Rolling from the center, roll until the dough is about a ⅛-inch thickness. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap, fold the dough over and lay across the pie plate and remove the bottom piece of plastic wrap. Press the pie dough lightly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Cover the pie plate with a piece of the plastic wrap and place in the fridge while making the quiche filling.
For the filling>
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices cooked turkey bacon
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup of shredded spinach (canned, fresh or frozen - thaw & strain first)
- ½ onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup of flour
- ½ tsp. of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves (fresh or dried)
- Mix all ingredient together thoroughly in large bowl by stirring.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. (177 degrees C)
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Cook for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool before serving for 15 minutes. Serves 6-8. Enjoy!